Monday, February 21, 2011

The McLovins

Now that you know why I decided to start a blog, I want to tell you a little bit more about myself and my family.  Our identity tends to be intertwined with how we grew up: our families of origin, where we grew up, our education, our beliefs, life circumstances, and the choices we make along the way.  


I can't tell you how thankful I am that I was raised in a Christian home with loving parents.  I have a brother, Austin, who I have always looked up to.  There are no perfect parents, but they certainly did their best!  My dad was in the military, so we moved around quite a bit and finally settled in Dallas, Texas when I was in middle school.  After graduating high school, I went to Baylor University and completed both an undergraduate and graduate degree in Exercise Physiology.  I moved back to Dallas, Texas and started a career in Cardiac Rehabilitation, working as an Exercise Physiologist.  Although faced with some hardships at work, I loved teaching my heart patients how to live healthier lives and watching them achieve their goals.  My life has been a characterized by a series of challenges, which the Lord has used to make me stronger, but we will get into those stories another day.  


In 2007, I met my best friend and the love of my life ... no, not Rambo (although, he is a close second).  My relationship with David, or Dave, began as a friendship and blossomed into love throughout the summer and fall.  What originally drew me to him was sense of humor.  Oh, the humor!  If laughter is the best medicine, then Dave is my drug of choice!!  This is where we "just get each other."  We are a mess; drama follows us where ever we go.  Below is a picture of the infamous Starbucks sign that will always hold a special place in our heart.  Since, we were already friends, Dave asked if we could go grab some coffee and talk.  While walking in, I banged my head on this sign.  I tried to play it cool, but I had blood dripping down (sorry if this is TMI) my head, and Dave didn't know what to do.  He said, "it looks like your head is having it's period."  I assured everyone that it was okay "because I didn't have any STDs."  Dave drove me back to my apartment; I held pressure on my head wound, suffering from dizziness and a massive headache.  This was his moment!  He asked me out on an official date.  I was in a moment of weakness!  ;-)  I said, "yes."  And this is how our relationship began.    




Our dating relationship was fun, exciting, and always full of laughter!  As we grew deeper into love, I was drawn to how Dave had the desire to grow closer to the Lord and to be a Christian leader for his future family.  Of course, he is quite handsome!  He always put me first, after his relationship with Christ.  We both wanted to keep our relationship pure until we were married, and he never kept me guessing on where our relationship was headed.  Dave proposed June 10, 2008, we were married on January 24, 2009.  It was a beautiful wedding, and I believe one of the best ceremonies and receptions ever!  But, then again, I could be biased!  














One of the first movies we saw together was Superbad (not very wholesome, I know).  If you have seen it, you may know of the character, "McLovin."  We quickly embraced the nickname from our friends the "McLovins."  Now, everything becomes Mc-something, we were "McMarried," and I recently became a "McBlogger" ... I think you get the idea. 










We recently celebrated our 2nd anniversary, and we will both agree that marriage definitely takes work.  It doesn't come easily.  It's not something that "just happens."  We are sinners: selfish, prideful people that want things done OUR way!  I can honestly say that I love David more today than the day I married him, and I have a deeper understanding of UNCONDITIONAL love.  Although I haven't read the book yet, I truly believe there is something in the question from the Sacred Marriage, "What if God designed marriage to make us holy more than to make us happy"?  Through the ups and downs and challenges of marriage and life, I can say that I have grown to cling to the Lord and find my identity in Him.  



Two Roses for Two Years!  




As I started off this post, saying that so much of our identity comes from our families and life circumstances, we must go back to the truth: our TRUE identity is in CHRIST.  If we have accepted Christ, we are free from our past sins and hurts ... we are a new creation!  What an incredible gift!  


Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, 
he is a new creation; the old has gone, 
the new has come! 
2 Corinthians 5:17


No comments:

Post a Comment